Friday, April 1, 2011

Pulse


I just realized (in my blogging resurgence) that I had been missing a huge opportunity. I go to Pulse once a week, but I haven't written about them.

Pulse Cafe is a vegan place in Davis Square, about a two minute walk from my office. They serve dinner Tuesday-Sunday, lunch and dinner on Friday and Saturday, and brunch to dinner on Sunday. My co-worker Tom and I are engaged in an underground campaign to get them open all day, seven days a week, by creating the illusion of high demand.

Pulse (and its ilk) are the reason why it's possible to be a vegetarian in Boston/Cambridge/Somerville. The food is excellent, the staff is friendly, and it's all vegan.

I'm working my way through the menu systematically, and I go every Friday. So I'll get them all eventually. The best thing thus far is the bacon cheese burger, but that's another post.

Today I had the Apple Melt. It had mozzarella "cheese," green apple, and sauteed onions on whole wheat. It was pretty good. The only complaint I have is that it's not really fair to call it mozzarella cheese. The nut based substitute they have for cheese (it's vegan) is definitely cheesy, but I think it's generous to say that its a specific type of cheese. It's very generic cheese substitute. But the sandwich was great, and the Dijion mustard is a great addition to this sandwich.

I also bought the loaded fries for the table - beans, so-called nacho cheese, and french fries. It was filling, and they make a good fry there. I do feel like the appetizers are the weakest part of their menu so far - but I haven't had their desserts yet.

There will be more updates about Pulse as time goes forward. But until I have time to give more recommendations, just go for the bacon cheese burger. Trust me.

No comments:

Post a Comment